Written By: Wil Roe!
Edited By: Daniel Cina
One of the newest trends from the ever-changing foodie world, we can forget about charcuterie boards this season because there is a new product that has everyone’s eye. Landing a feature in the prestigious New York Times, butterboards have been sweeping the country with their massive popularity.
The Buzz Behind Butter Boards
Now if you are still wondering what I’m talking about then let me elaborate. Picture a beautiful slab of smooth heavily seasoned butter, that makes the perfect dipping accoutrement for both sweet and savory snacks. Whether you are already a fan of butter boards or a fresh skeptic of this new trend, there is a national buzz about butter boards, and just in time for the holidays no less!
The key to the beauty behind butter boards lies in their versatility, inviting a culinary adventure of your desire. With a plethora of toppings that can range from lemon or citrus zest to fruits, nuts, and much more, take a plunge into this buttery experience. Make a special butter board for your stoner family this season, and for those who love to cook with cannabis, we have the perfect recipe for you!
This awesome infused butterboard recipe that we’re about to show encapsulates the Oregonian spirit in its flavor and concoction. Herbal, rustic, and positively delicious in all facets. The special ingredient this year though? Well… what is an Oregon-style recipe without the addition of some gorgeous green cannabis after all?
Butter Board Recipe
Now before we dive deep on the cannabis culinary experience, a word of wisdom. Be sure to understand your dosing and utilize the low and slow method. One bite shouldn’t send you and your guests on a roller coaster. So be sure to air on the side of caution when dosing the edibles on this board, and while we are on the subject of guests, make sure everyone knows that it contains an herbal surprise before consumption. Just remember that cannabis and its amazing elevation are a part of this board so consume responsibly. Now without further adieu, our recommended cannabis butter board recipe for the holidays!
What You’ll Need for Butter Board
- A board of your choosing (marble works great)
- Mixing bowl
- Parchment paper
- Electric mixer (you can also mix well with a big spoon)
- Knife or frosting tool.
- 8.8 oz high-fat salted butter (room temp)
- 1 Tb canna-butter (learn how to make it here)
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 3 Tbs fig jam
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 2 Tbsp balsamic glaze
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts.
- Fresh rosemary sprigs
- Coarse salt and Black pepper
- A loaf of warm/toasted bread
You’ll want to make sure that you have your canna-butter recipe down before sharing it with your loved ones. Our suggestion? Test the butter recipe a few times before unveiling it to friends and family.
How to make a butter board with cannabutter:
- Before anything, let your butter, canna-butter, and goat cheese chill, and then let them sit out until they reach room temperature. Avoid microwaving your canna-butter as you can burn the terpenes and ruin the flavor profile.
- In a mixing bowl, add your butter, cannabutter, and goat cheese. Beat it on high for 5-7 minutes until it’s as light and fluffy as a cloud. This texture is key for even dosing and hassle-free use. If you don’t have an electric mixer then mixing it in a bowl will also work, but be sure to give it that extra stir to achieve the perfect texture.
- Spread your compound butter in small dollops on your chosen board, marble works best as the stone is naturally cooling, but wood boards also work. Parchment paper is also your friend in this endeavor. Feel free to lay some out over the board to help mitigate the mess and make cleanup a breeze.
While it’s tempting to slather everything on at once, like one normally would with non-infused compound butter there is a purpose to having them pre-portioned. Individual dollops make it easier to consume for less hassle, but more importantly, it help in dosing for you and your friends.
For you and your guests to better eyeball their doses, individual dollops are the most effective. For instance, if your amazing butter board contains 50-100 mg of THC, arranging it into 20-40 2.5mg doses will better ensure that no one goes overboard.
You may even wish to consider having some non-dosed butter accompanying your dosed butter so your guests can either dilute their intake or have a non-infused alternative for when they reach their desired elevation. To accomplish this simply make sure you mix your compound butter and simply pull some aside and season before adding and mixing your canna-butter. With that being said onto the rest of the recipe!
- Season your butter to taste with salt and pepper
- Evenly coat the butter with fig jam.
- Arrange the prosciutto slices in an artsy fashion.
- Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the prosciutto.
- Sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts over the butter, and garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs.
- Serve it up with warm bread, crackers, or starch of your choice.
Cannabis Cooking, Butter Boards, and Beyond
Enjoy this butterboard recipe that delivers a taste of Oregon if you wish, but remember the true amazement behind these boards is the versatility. It can be a culinary adventure of your choosing. Your butter boards can be spicy, sweet, savory, or even floral, it is all about the direction you desire to impress those guests!
So, there you have it – simple, right? Dive into the taste explosion and let those taste buds throw a party this holiday season. For the full Oregonian experience, be sure to head over to your local Nectar for some extra holiday cheer. If you need to decarboxylate some flower for your infused butter then stop by to get some premium locally sourced cannabis that will give your butter that extra Oregon authenticity!
If this article has only piqued your interest in cannabis cooking then be sure to check our articles on some sweet-infused dessert recipes and delicious savory-infused recipes to help you continue on your journey into the amazing world of cannabis cooking!