Written By: Daniel Cina
In Oregon, medical cannabis is legal for qualified patients who have received a medical cannabis card. There are numerous steps to follow to obtain a medical card but not to worry! Nectar is here to help you out with a guide on how to get your medical cannabis card in Oregon!
The 6 Steps On How to Get Your Medical Cannabis Card In Oregon
- The first step in how to get your medical cannabis card is to determine if you are eligible for a medical cannabis card: To be eligible for a medical cannabis card in Oregon, you must have a qualifying medical condition. Some of the qualifying conditions include cancer, glaucoma, HIV/AIDS, Alzheimer’s disease, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). You can find a complete list of qualifying conditions on the Oregon Health Authority website.
- The 2nd step in how to get your medical cannabis card is to get a recommendation from a licensed healthcare provider. For you to get a medical cannabis card, you will need a written recommendation from a licensed healthcare provider. This can be a doctor, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant. Your healthcare provider will need to certify that you have a qualifying medical condition and that they believe medical cannabis would be a beneficial treatment for you.
- The 3rd step in how to get your medical cannabis card is to register with the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program (OMMP): Once you have a written recommendation from a healthcare provider, you will need to register with the OMMP. You can do this online or by mailing in a paper application. You will need to provide proof of your identity and Oregon residency, as well as your written recommendation from a healthcare provider.
- The 4th step in how to get your medical cannabis card is to pay the application fee: There is a fee to apply for a medical cannabis card in Oregon. The fee is currently $200, but it may be reduced to $100 if you are on the Oregon Health Plan or if you are a veteran. You can pay the fee online or by mailing a check or money order.
- Wait for your medical cannabis card to arrive: After you have completed the application process, you will need to wait for your medical cannabis card to arrive in the mail. This can take up to 45 days.
- Find a dispensary: Once you have your medical cannabis card, you will be able to purchase medical cannabis from a licensed dispensary. There are many dispensaries in Oregon that sell a variety of medical cannabis products, including flower, edibles, tinctures, and topicals.
We obviously recommend stopping at your local Nectar where our friendly budtenders will help you with all your cannabis purchases. Located all over Oregon and open 365 days a year, we got something for you!
- Follow the rules: It is important to remember that medical cannabis is a regulated substance in Oregon and there are strict rules that must be followed. You are only allowed to possess a certain amount of medical cannabis at any given time and you are not allowed to drive under the influence of medical cannabis. It is also illegal to sell or give your medical cannabis to anyone else.
In conclusion, getting a medical cannabis card in Oregon involves getting a recommendation from a licensed healthcare provider, registering with the OMMP, paying the application fee, and waiting for your card to arrive in the mail. Once you have your medical cannabis card, you can purchase medical cannabis from a licensed dispensary and follow the rules of the OMMP.
Whatever your reasons are, having the knowledge on how to get your medical cannabis card in Oregon can be a large benefit should you qualify for one. We are fortunate to live in a state with a highly regulated and expanding recreational market, but we believe that medical cannabis is an absolute necessity for people and so we hope this article helps you with its knowledge of how to get your medical cannabis card in Oregon!